It’s the day before Thanksgiving and I’m not going to be traveling this year. I’ll be spending it with some friends. However, I’m still taking today, Friday, and Monday off. While I’m not going anywhere, I am partaking in that newest of traditions: the staycation. It’s pretty much what it sounds like. You take time off like you would with a vacation but you don’t go anywhere.
I think this concept started around the time when the economy really tanked. No one could afford to go anywhere but everyone still had all this time off, so the staycation was bourn. It’s kind of sad when you think about it, but I have to say that I love them. Planing and then going on tradition vacations can be really stressful. I don’t like being force into travel just because I have time off.
This will be my second one of these and I find the trick to them is to wake up at normal time (about an a hour after you would for work), and have at least one project. Something fun that you wouldn’t normally have time for. Me, I’m finally going to build that media server that I’ve always been saying I would.
I got a computer that I can use from work. (I didn’t steal it. They were throwing them out.) It’s an old laptop with an 80Gig harddrive but I have a terabyte drive I can connect to it.
So my list of things to do to it are as follows:
- Format the laptop and install Ubuntu. (Just the desktop version. The Server version is going to go over my head.)
- Install Plex media server. This is a grate program that works with my Ruku box and the PS3.
- Install Samba for file sharing. I don’t really know much about this so that’s going to be a research project.
- Finally fix the tags for my MP3’s. My god some of these have been messed up for years.
- Start ripping movies to the server. I don’t think I’ll have this done by the end of the staycation or even the year, but it’s something that’s worth the shot.
So those are the main things. I also set up some other services on the server, but this is going to be the first generation of my media server. Of course, I’ll also be doing some posting on here and some other writing projects.
But not today. That’s the other pro-tip to staycations, the first day is your detox day where you don’t do anything. Sleep in and keep putting things off. It’s a break. You’ve earned it.